In this presentation, healthcare attorney Jenny Odom provides training for managers on the Breach Notification Rule under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, commonly referred to as HIPAA, which governs the use and safeguarding of an individual’s protected health information (PHI) by health plans, health care clearinghouses and healthcare providers. It gives an overview of what is required in the event of an impermissible disclosure, and the requirements of the HIPAA Breach Notification regulations. Topics include:
- Protected Health Information (PHI)
- Breach Notification Rule
- What is a “breach”?
- How does a covered entity determine the probability of compromise?
- When is a breach discovered, and why is it important?
- What must a covered entity do in the event of a breach of unsecured PHI?
- Are HIPAA business associates responsible for breach reporting?
- What documentation should be kept regarding a breach?
This presentation requires a subscription to the Healthcare Law Compliance training module of JurisIQ.